Monday, October 19, 2009

Gluten-Free Pumpkin Waffles

Gluten-free pumpkin waffles with maple syrup.

Pumpkin waffles for breakfast. Yes, please.


Karina's Gluten-Free Pumpkin Waffles

Recipe originally published October 2008.

For the pumpkin season- a waffle. I'm experimenting with grains higher in protein than your average gluten-free flour mix, but if you'd rather use your favorite gluten-free blend or wheat-free waffle and pancake slash baking mix, please feel free. You'll need 2 to 2 and 2/3 cups flour or baking and pancake mix.

First-

Whisk together your dry ingredients in a mixing bowl:

1 cup sorghum flour or certified gluten-free oat flour
1 cup organic buckwheat flour
1/3 cup millet flour
1/3 cup tapioca starch (this adds a bit of crispness to the waffle)
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

Add in your wet ingredients:

3/4 cup pumpkin puree
4 tablespoons light olive oil
4 to 6 tablespoons raw agave nectar
2 teaspoons bourbon vanilla extract
2 organic free-range eggs or Ener-G Egg Replacer
1 1/2 to 2 cups hemp, almond, rice or dairy milk, as needed- start with less

Instructions:

Beat the wet into the dry ingredients to combine. Add enough liquid to make a batter that is a tad thicker than pancake batter.

Heat and prepare your waffle iron according to manufacturer's instructions. Note: even though my waffle iron is non-stick I oiled it lightly before using.

Serve with real maple syrup or agave nectar.

Try these waffles with my Maple Apple Breakfast Sausages for a real treat.

Makes 8 to 10 large waffles.




 photo Print-Recipe.png



Recipe Source: glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com

All images & content are copyright protected, all rights reserved. Please do not use our images or content without prior permission. Thank you. 

Karina's Notes:

When I poured my first two waffles I had not yet added the tapioca starch; I was trying to create a whole grain waffle and was snubbing starches in my formula. The result was, Meh. They were soft and fell apart. When I added the tapioca starch the waffles turned out perfectly.

I made mine vegan and egg-free, so the addition of tapioca may have helped replace the eggs, even with my Ener-G Egg Replacer. I'm noting this to myself- with egg-free baking, tapioca seems to be a starch that helps keep the vegan baked good intact, and adds texture.

Those of you who use eggs- if you try this recipe with eggs and choose not to include the tapioca starch, please leave a note in Comments and share with fellow readers: what worked, didn't work.

Gluten-free waffles are finicky and affected by humidity and flour choices. Adjust batter as you go- adding more liquid if it thickens too much; more flour if it becomes too runny.

Check out my recipe for Savory Waffles (for sandwiches, panini and bread crumbs).
For substitutions, please see my guide to baking with substitutions here.





No comments:

Post a Comment